Skip to main content

Soy Milk and Yogurt

There has been a consistent and worrying drop in the Albumin levels for my father since we started him on a Naturopathy diet - more on that for later.  The accepted minimum norm might be irrelevant for someone like my father who isn't mobile or active like most people.  Thats what I tell myself to avoid panic attacks over the seemly alarming dip.

Almonds and peanuts were given to get his levels up.  They turned out too hard for him to digest and he developed constipation and lost weight.   The next hope was on Ragi (finger millets).  We had to soak, sprout, grind, boil and reduce it to half, & finally mix it with a banana.  Will elaborate on this drink in a different post, it was delicious. Everything was followed religiously.  He developed violent diarrhea and lost weight.  Meanwhile the albumin levels kept going down.

Dr. Arun Sharma, our natural hygiene doctor / Naturopath then suggested soy milk.  Online resources like the Instructables and Sharan were highly helpful along with friends who practice organic farming.

Steps for Soymilk


I soak 100gms of soybean and get around 600ml of soymilk.  The following recipe can be for any size of 1 cup.  Keep the quantity small for the first time. 

Things you need
  • 1 cup soybeans 
  • 13 cups of water 
  • Blender 
  • Strainer 
  • Thick bottom pan 
  • Container 
Making Soymilk
  

  1. Wash and soak 1 cup of soy beans in a pot that has enough room for the beans to expand. Change the water after the first hour.  I was recommended this as a step to further clean the beans.  Add 3 of the 13 cups of water when soaking next.  Let it soak for atleast 8 hours.   
  2. Finely grind the beans in a blender using the soaked water. Add more if necessary. 
  3. Strain the milk using a cloth (which is what I use) or a strainer into a thick bottom pan. 
  4. Blend the pulp again with some water and strain.  
  5. Repeat the previous step after exacting the milk for the second time
  6. You would have blended the bean and its pulp 3 times in total. 
  7. Divide the 10 cups of water (minus the 3 cups used for soaking) equally while blending each time. 
  8. The milk is raw now.  Heat it in the think bottom pan for around 20 -30 mins.  Keep in low to medium heat and keep stirring. 
  9. Let it cool and strain the milk into your storage container.  
Making Soy yogurt


Its the same procedure as making yogurt from cow's milk.  Through some trial and error I've figured that the soy milk can be (not should be) slightly warmer than cow's milk for fermenting.   I use cow milk yogurt as culture for my soy milk.  No fancy starter.  Maybe this is cheating, but it works.  Also unlike the regular practice of just a tiny bit of yogurt for culture, I use a full table spoon, have found this to give a thicker yogurt. 

Some Dos and Don'ts
  • Was strictly instructed to procure only organic soy beans.  I read an article that India doesn't have much of GM (Genetically Modified) soy bean.  However to be cautious I get only certified organic soy bean. 
  • Thinner the Soy milk the easier on the stomach to digest.  If I use store purchased soy milk, I ensure its organic and thin it considerably. 
  • Fermented Soy milk much better than non-fermented for digestion.  Although non-fermented soy milk did not cause any digestion issues with my father, I stick with the fermented - soy yogurt.
  • Homemade soymilk stays good for atleast 3-5 days.  If one wants to store for longer, heat it and refrigerate once it cools down. 

The smoothie

Blend one banana, add the yogurt and blend again.  Adjust thickness with water if necessary. 

I am starting to drink this with my father.  Happy soy drinks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy

Somewhere in 2011 my good friend Rohan sent me a link to a documentary on Ayurveda .  It showcases different practitioners of Ayurveda, its  ninth part  caught my attention.  One, a patient in the film suffered from brain hemorrhage and two, the doctor (he is an indigenous healer / vaidhiyar, not a certified doctor) lived in Southern India which would make the travel not too adventurous.  I guessed the adventure part incorrectly. Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy (the Doctor) lives ofcourse in Narasipura, which falls under the Shimoga district in Karnataka.  My research prior the travel showed that all one needs to do is to get to Narasipura or Shimoga and locals know the doctor's place. Our male cousin in Bangalore who is specially fond of my father agreed to accompany me.  We left to Shimoga on a Saturday since the doctor consults only on Sundays and Thursdays. Consultation begins at 7:00am, its on first come first serve basis.  I thought 5:00am would make us sufficien

Cranio - sacral Therapy and Dr. Manik Hiranandani

Few years ago at our   Acutouch   treatment we made the acquaintance of a wonderful mother-son duo.   Rudra, the boy was all cuteness and Kavita, his mother was friendly and resourceful.   Places like these are great treasure troves for information on different treatments and doctors. Kavita highly recommended Dr. Manik Hiranandani who runs an alternative treatment clinic, which is called just that - "The Clinic", at Malakkara in Kerala.  He uses a combination of treatments, but the main focus seems to be   Cranio-Sacral   therapy. After our misadventure with the  Varma treatment  during our Kerala stay, Dr. Hiranandani seemed worth pursuing.  Given his hectic schedule and our inability to take our father to his clinic just for a consult, we scheduled a meeting at a rather unconventional place -  the meeting was outside a bakery on the highway that was taking the Doctor from Ernakulam airport to Malakkara. The Doctor after examining our father said that he cou

Metamorphosis

Appa passed away in the early morning hours of December 3, 2014, one month short of his 72 nd birthday.   Well, he was 67 yrs old on the fateful night of brain hemorrhage, so I guess we lost the father we knew back then.   I have been unable to bring myself to write anything about him since that past 3 ½ years.   Each time I think of a blog post, my eyes would tear up, chest turn heavy and breathing would be constricted, sure signs of no blog post. This time I am ready to write about the night he left his physical body. On the night of December 2 nd , as per the routine I was awake until Appa was deep asleep. I called my sister around 11ish to update on him. He was constantly battling infection and was running temperature for the past few months.   Appa’s neurosurgeon messaged me back asking to continue his medication and then I called it a night around 12:30am.   My internal clock woke me up around 4:00am to check on him.   When I opened my eyes, I