Skip to main content

Sister Moves Back to Cochin

On the day of our father's hemorrhage my sister flew in from Cochin and I followed her from the U.S.  For the next year and half we were like two peas in a pod.  There was practically no life outside of home.  We talked the most to each other and did everything together.  Most importantly each decision for our father was taken jointly.  

Being sisters we had ofcourse grown up together.   But the trajectory of growth in this period was steep and outstanding.  We learned to distinguish useful doctors from the smart ones,  to sport worthy service persons with five minutes in to the conversation with them, to decide on best course of treatment even in the face of conflicting opinions, and the list goes on.  My personal favorite for obvious reasons is when we play the good cop - bad cop routine, where I would invariably be the good cop.

Our personalities complimented perfectly.  She would be impatient for results, ideas, and pretty much anything.  She also had no problem expressing herself at the highest audible levels with the choicest of words. In front of her I appeared rather calm and patient and sometimes too calm for comfort.   We divided performing tasks and dealing with people that suited our nature.

One ever present issue during this period was that my sister had left behind her husband and seven year old daughter back in Cochin.  She didn't know what to expect when she first come to help and with the situation so grave, couldn't fathom leaving our father or most importantly leaving us by ourselves.

Although my niece and brother-in-law would visit as often as school and work would permit it was no substitute for them living together.  All sorts of possibilities were discussed - maybe they should all move in with us, or my niece comes first then brother-in-law or my sister starts working and they move somewhere close to us.   In all the combination, the one thing she never contemplated much to my brother-in-law's dismay was moving back to Cochin.

After one of the particularly intense debates we somehow decided maybe it was best for her and her family to go back.  Since the day we decided this to the actual day she moved, she cried everyday.  She would alternate her reason for distress between our parents and myself, but cry everyday she did.  Finally end of summer of 2012 my sister and niece went back to Cochin.

I was most encouraging of her going, had a feeling of calm and peace about the decision.  But once she was gone I mentally broke down.  Thinking back, I think it was more like petrified.   Even though I was the one who was more hands on with our father, took him to the treatments, and sat vigilant through all the infection episodes,  I relied on her for most decision making.   My biggest fear was I would miss something that she might have caught.  To be solely in charge of my parents and grandmother was more than I would imagine.   I had attacks of paranoia on most nights, when that wasn't the case I ate a lot of desserts and watched a ton of movies.

Its been over a year since she moved.  During this period there have been fair share of starting new treatments, highly distressing issues and also thankfully some heartening progress.  We seemed to have survived better than I thought we would.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy

Somewhere in 2011 my good friend Rohan sent me a link to a documentary on Ayurveda .  It showcases different practitioners of Ayurveda, its  ninth part  caught my attention.  One, a patient in the film suffered from brain hemorrhage and two, the doctor (he is an indigenous healer / vaidhiyar, not a certified doctor) lived in Southern India which would make the travel not too adventurous.  I guessed the adventure part incorrectly. Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy (the Doctor) lives ofcourse in Narasipura, which falls under the Shimoga district in Karnataka.  My research prior the travel showed that all one needs to do is to get to Narasipura or Shimoga and locals know the doctor's place. Our male cousin in Bangalore who is specially fond of my father agreed to accompany me.  We left to Shimoga on a Saturday since the doctor consults only on Sundays and Thursdays. Consultation begins at 7:00am, its on first come first serve basis.  I thought 5:00am would make us sufficien

Cranio - sacral Therapy and Dr. Manik Hiranandani

Few years ago at our   Acutouch   treatment we made the acquaintance of a wonderful mother-son duo.   Rudra, the boy was all cuteness and Kavita, his mother was friendly and resourceful.   Places like these are great treasure troves for information on different treatments and doctors. Kavita highly recommended Dr. Manik Hiranandani who runs an alternative treatment clinic, which is called just that - "The Clinic", at Malakkara in Kerala.  He uses a combination of treatments, but the main focus seems to be   Cranio-Sacral   therapy. After our misadventure with the  Varma treatment  during our Kerala stay, Dr. Hiranandani seemed worth pursuing.  Given his hectic schedule and our inability to take our father to his clinic just for a consult, we scheduled a meeting at a rather unconventional place -  the meeting was outside a bakery on the highway that was taking the Doctor from Ernakulam airport to Malakkara. The Doctor after examining our father said that he cou

Metamorphosis

Appa passed away in the early morning hours of December 3, 2014, one month short of his 72 nd birthday.   Well, he was 67 yrs old on the fateful night of brain hemorrhage, so I guess we lost the father we knew back then.   I have been unable to bring myself to write anything about him since that past 3 ½ years.   Each time I think of a blog post, my eyes would tear up, chest turn heavy and breathing would be constricted, sure signs of no blog post. This time I am ready to write about the night he left his physical body. On the night of December 2 nd , as per the routine I was awake until Appa was deep asleep. I called my sister around 11ish to update on him. He was constantly battling infection and was running temperature for the past few months.   Appa’s neurosurgeon messaged me back asking to continue his medication and then I called it a night around 12:30am.   My internal clock woke me up around 4:00am to check on him.   When I opened my eyes, I