Skip to main content

MUSIC THERAPY FOR FATHER AND DAUGHTER

One of the persistent recommendations during our father’s ICU days to stimulate the unconscious brain was to repeatedly play his favorite music or a recording our voices.   Trusting a positive response to the music than to our voices, the choice of which to play was an easy one.  We did it in the ICU, later when in a private room, and also when at home.

A cousin of ours gave us a CD by one of those new age teachers.   The recommended dosage to play was everyday for one hour and continue this for at least a month.  Did we follow it?  Ofcourse we did.  I read somewhere that classical music helps, especially with a varied tempo.  So Hindustani and Carnatic instruments would rock on in his ears when asleep.    

It is beyond doubt for me that music helps and what we did helped.   Although I don’t exactly know how.  This seems to be the conclusion of most of the literature on music therapy  - very effective, uncertain strategy and studies to channel the efforts for maximum results are still at their fledgling best.  


                                            Source: http://www.kamat.com/indica/music/veena.htm


I personally know it has helped me a lot.  Learning to play the instrument Veena has been on top of my wish it for a while.  What better time than now when the concept of time has very little meaning.  So I started my classes with great love and dedication.  It has been a little over six months and I can play some very simple songs or ‘geethams’ as we call it.

I never miss a class unless its completely unavoidable. Went to classes during all the urine infection days, days of exhaustion of due to sleep deprived nights, days of apprehension when we knew something was amiss, but knew not what.   After most classes, especially during the tough days, I step out of the class feeling calmer, peaceful, joyful and hopeful.  Yes music is therapeutic.  

Then there is always the practice at home.   I sometimes sit in our father’s room and make him listen to my practice.   He was initially amused and at times it would put him to sleep.  I like to think it’s the melody and not boredom.  Some days there is more company like our mother, the nurse and / or my sister would sing the basic lessons for me to practice.  

One evening when he was sitting on a chair and was gesturing desperately to be shifted to bed, I told him it would be done once I perfected a new song.  He sat through the whole arduous practice not looking once at the bed and smiling each time I had to start over and relieved when I was finally done.

Playing the Veena, among other things I do during these times, lifts my spirits and infuses a certain joy in my being.  Music therapy is as important and necessary for not just people who are ailing physically but for their caregivers as well.  I am sure it helps my father to have a joyful daughter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy

Somewhere in 2011 my good friend Rohan sent me a link to a documentary on Ayurveda .  It showcases different practitioners of Ayurveda, its  ninth part  caught my attention.  One, a patient in the film suffered from brain hemorrhage and two, the doctor (he is an indigenous healer / vaidhiyar, not a certified doctor) lived in Southern India which would make the travel not too adventurous.  I guessed the adventure part incorrectly. Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy (the Doctor) lives ofcourse in Narasipura, which falls under the Shimoga district in Karnataka.  My research prior the travel showed that all one needs to do is to get to Narasipura or Shimoga and locals know the doctor's place. Our male cousin in Bangalore who is specially fond of my father agreed to accompany me.  We left to Shimoga on a Saturday since the doctor consults only on Sundays and Thursdays. Consultation begins at 7:00am, its on first come first serve basis.  I thought 5:00am would make us sufficien

Cranio - sacral Therapy and Dr. Manik Hiranandani

Few years ago at our   Acutouch   treatment we made the acquaintance of a wonderful mother-son duo.   Rudra, the boy was all cuteness and Kavita, his mother was friendly and resourceful.   Places like these are great treasure troves for information on different treatments and doctors. Kavita highly recommended Dr. Manik Hiranandani who runs an alternative treatment clinic, which is called just that - "The Clinic", at Malakkara in Kerala.  He uses a combination of treatments, but the main focus seems to be   Cranio-Sacral   therapy. After our misadventure with the  Varma treatment  during our Kerala stay, Dr. Hiranandani seemed worth pursuing.  Given his hectic schedule and our inability to take our father to his clinic just for a consult, we scheduled a meeting at a rather unconventional place -  the meeting was outside a bakery on the highway that was taking the Doctor from Ernakulam airport to Malakkara. The Doctor after examining our father said that he cou

Metamorphosis

Appa passed away in the early morning hours of December 3, 2014, one month short of his 72 nd birthday.   Well, he was 67 yrs old on the fateful night of brain hemorrhage, so I guess we lost the father we knew back then.   I have been unable to bring myself to write anything about him since that past 3 ½ years.   Each time I think of a blog post, my eyes would tear up, chest turn heavy and breathing would be constricted, sure signs of no blog post. This time I am ready to write about the night he left his physical body. On the night of December 2 nd , as per the routine I was awake until Appa was deep asleep. I called my sister around 11ish to update on him. He was constantly battling infection and was running temperature for the past few months.   Appa’s neurosurgeon messaged me back asking to continue his medication and then I called it a night around 12:30am.   My internal clock woke me up around 4:00am to check on him.   When I opened my eyes, I