Skip to main content

Lady with a Lamp


While discharging our father from the hospital almost 4 months back, we had some sleepless nights and endless discussions on finding good home nursing.   After much looking around and talking we found two male nurses, one for the day and one for the night.  The night before the discharge, both bailed on us.  The reason – our father was not ready for home care.  Apparently the nurses differed from our neurosurgeon on the timing of discharge.

We managed to have a lady come in on the first night at home.  She was slightly disoriented and was tired most of the night.  I sat vigilant watching her more than watching my father, and was constantly guiding her on what to do.  Decided to call it a night with her, the thought of monitoring her each night was unbearable.  Like a breath of fresh air an experienced nurse showed up in the morning.   She fixed everything – arranged the chaotic room, drew up a chart for medicines and feed, and took care of our father single handedly.  We pinched ourselves on our good fortune on finding such a wonder nurse.   

That night a male nurse showed up who had minuscule idea on changing diapers.  He actually put it upside down and snarled at me when I attempted to correct him.   He wasted gloves and saline water, answered my U.S. landline phone and gave my friend on the other end a fright, and was more interested in my educational qualifications than in my father’s discharge summary.  I was hanging on the hope that the wonder nurse would come in the morning and I could catch some sleep.

We get a call that morning that the lady nurse’s daughter committed suicide the previous evening.  No points for guessing, the nurse indefinitely wasn’t coming to work.  I felt sorry for her and myself in equal measure, although at times more for myself.

For the next couple of days it was a range of mediocre to pretty bad nursing.  Our cousin in Bangalore had enough of our stories, he contacted an organization in his city that provides nursing, paid them a deposit and put a live-in nurse on the train the same day.  My sister went to pick her up hoping she would be something close to our wonder nurse.   So my sister asks her if she knows tracheostomy care and she is preoccupied with getting a local telephone number.   Anyway, the young nurse turns out to be pretty good and reliable. 

We started lot of new treatments on our father since she came – robotics physiotherepy, ayurveda medicine, and Accutouch.   She was more than a willing partner in all treatments.   My sister and I took turns in taking care of our father during the nights while our nurse had him for the day.  It was a sleepless arrangement for both us.   Difficult to catch up on sleep during the day and most of the nights were sleepless.  We functioned in a sleep deprived stupor most of the time and constantly talked of getting a night nurse.  But didn’t get around to doing it as we could not figure out the logistics of two nurses in one room during the night.

Abruptly one day our nurse went home after three months with us.   Her mother was sick, but she decided to stay put for reasons other than her mother’s health.  So the scramble began again.  In the last 15 days I trained almost 3 nurses, one of them I later learned was not even a nurse.   Days and nights merged into one, with endless diaper changes, removing urine retention, and physiotherapy.  Finally when I could no longer go on physically another live-in nurse showed up who turned out to be responsible and a fast learner.

Hoping she lasts, we are finally looking out for a night nurse.  We would now have two ‘lady with lamps’ nursing our father.  

Comments

  1. I am really impressed after reading this blog post. I would like to thank you for sharing this amazing post with us and i will share it too.
    Visit us http://bit.ly/33hwRGq
    Express Clinics is India’s fastest growing “Multispeciality Clinic & Diagnostic Chain” having 24 clinics operational across Bengaluru, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Noida, Navi Mumbai and Pune along with centralized Lab in each location.
    In addition, we also have a network of 3200 affiliate Diagnostic Clinics as our Network Partners, providing coverage in 500+ cities on a pan India basis. An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Enterprise with an NABL Accredited Lab*, Express Clinics currently serves 700+ corporate clients across various industries like Manufacturing, IT & ITES, Hospitality, Pharmaceutical, Banking and Insurance to name a few and has served over 10 Lakhs + retail customers since its inception in March 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy

Somewhere in 2011 my good friend Rohan sent me a link to a documentary on Ayurveda .  It showcases different practitioners of Ayurveda, its  ninth part  caught my attention.  One, a patient in the film suffered from brain hemorrhage and two, the doctor (he is an indigenous healer / vaidhiyar, not a certified doctor) lived in Southern India which would make the travel not too adventurous.  I guessed the adventure part incorrectly. Sri Narasipura Subbaiah Narayana Murthy (the Doctor) lives ofcourse in Narasipura, which falls under the Shimoga district in Karnataka.  My research prior the travel showed that all one needs to do is to get to Narasipura or Shimoga and locals know the doctor's place. Our male cousin in Bangalore who is specially fond of my father agreed to accompany me.  We left to Shimoga on a Saturday since the doctor consults only on Sundays and Thursdays. Consultation begins at 7:00am, its on first come first serve basis.  I thought 5:00am would make us sufficien

Cranio - sacral Therapy and Dr. Manik Hiranandani

Few years ago at our   Acutouch   treatment we made the acquaintance of a wonderful mother-son duo.   Rudra, the boy was all cuteness and Kavita, his mother was friendly and resourceful.   Places like these are great treasure troves for information on different treatments and doctors. Kavita highly recommended Dr. Manik Hiranandani who runs an alternative treatment clinic, which is called just that - "The Clinic", at Malakkara in Kerala.  He uses a combination of treatments, but the main focus seems to be   Cranio-Sacral   therapy. After our misadventure with the  Varma treatment  during our Kerala stay, Dr. Hiranandani seemed worth pursuing.  Given his hectic schedule and our inability to take our father to his clinic just for a consult, we scheduled a meeting at a rather unconventional place -  the meeting was outside a bakery on the highway that was taking the Doctor from Ernakulam airport to Malakkara. The Doctor after examining our father said that he cou

Metamorphosis

Appa passed away in the early morning hours of December 3, 2014, one month short of his 72 nd birthday.   Well, he was 67 yrs old on the fateful night of brain hemorrhage, so I guess we lost the father we knew back then.   I have been unable to bring myself to write anything about him since that past 3 ½ years.   Each time I think of a blog post, my eyes would tear up, chest turn heavy and breathing would be constricted, sure signs of no blog post. This time I am ready to write about the night he left his physical body. On the night of December 2 nd , as per the routine I was awake until Appa was deep asleep. I called my sister around 11ish to update on him. He was constantly battling infection and was running temperature for the past few months.   Appa’s neurosurgeon messaged me back asking to continue his medication and then I called it a night around 12:30am.   My internal clock woke me up around 4:00am to check on him.   When I opened my eyes, I